Creative high-density construction in an up-and-coming neighborhood.
@ 3795 Florida Street, San Diego (San Diego County)
Completed: 2013 (new construction)
At the beginning of the Great Recession, CHW was able to buy this one acre transit-oriented site, originally approved for 72 luxury condominiums, in rapidly appreciating North Park. CHW then reduced the original building height to preserve neighboring views and control costs, and used density bonus incentives to create 83 family apartments. The wood frame buildings over one concrete floor of parking used an off-site panelized construction method for the wood wall sections, shaving months off the construction schedule and reducing staging costs. This $27 million development was cited in a SD Housing Commission study for its cost effectiveness.
- High-density transit-oriented design close to four major bus transit lines and employment centers
- LEED Platinum Certification, with solar thermal hot water and photovoltaic panels
- Improved air quality through high ventilation design, and formaldehyde-free and low-volatile organic compound (VOC) emitting materials, adhesives and paints
- Uses 56% less water than a typical residential community through low water use landscape, efficient irrigation systems, and low flow plumbing fixtures
- Increased ventilation for improved air quality
- Multipurpose community room with kitchen, after-school learning spaces, computer lab
- Resident success supported by CHW’s on-site Achieve resident services
- USGBC Affordable Project of the Year, 2013 (national)
- Affordable Housing Finance Magazine, Merit Finalist – Green, 2014
- San Diego Housing Federation, “Housing Project of the Year, New Construction, 2014”